Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Why We Write....Blog-Hop

     As part of a writers blog-hop, I've been asked to talk about why I write.  All participants will respond to the same four questions, perhaps shedding light on why writers expose their rawest nerves for the world to see and judge.  A college friend has tapped into her creative side and invited me to participate in this blog-hop.  Check out her refreshing, honest take on life at www.errisspeaks.com.

     1.  What am I working on writing?
      I am always working on several things at once. I am currently working on the not-so-obvious struggles of middle class, divorced women with children. Unlike our mothers, we tend to have several educational degrees, yet struggle financially and emotionally as they did.  I have walked the long, difficult road, and experienced our country's welfare system firsthand.  Although the system is flawed, the people who work for the system are not; rather, they are among the kindest, most generous people I have ever encountered.  I am truly a better human being after being forced to take the dismal journey into poverty.  I am also working on a piece about teenagers morphing into unrecognizable, moody creatures who are impossible to communicate with. In addition, I'm writing about the ludicrous concept of having "a balanced life."  My life is more like a three-ringed circus than a tightrope walk.  My final serious piece is about rediscovering my identity after voluntarily losing it to my ex-husband and three children.  In addition, I am working on my third child's baby book...she's eight! Enough said!

     2.  How does my writing differ from others of its genre?
     This is a difficult question to answer because I don't think my writing fits into a genre.  I have written legal briefs, children's books, humor columns, and serious essays.  I've worked on yet unpublished novels and edit English essays for a living.  When I write about issues others relate to, like parenting, not having enough time for anything, and the ever repulsive "balancing act" of life, my work is always painfully honest and simultaneously witty.  I always try to see the humor in things.  Without a lighter perspective, life can get really depressing.  I definitely do not take myself very seriously and I realize that I'm not alone in my chaotic experiences.

     3. Why do I write what I do?
     I am compelled to write.  I can't NOT write.  Writers will understand what I mean.   My brain seems to never turn off, twisting and spinning until eventually a story emerges.  I have been writing my entire life. Though I won many science and math awards in middle and high school, I always preferred writing to math equations. I was published in local papers at an early age and inspired to keep writing. My creative writings gave way to journalistic writings which gave way to legal motions and briefs.  Though not as much fun, I love legal research and writing. I enjoy having a command of the English language.  My stories must be told.  I hope to inspire others to persevere when I feel like a failure.  I especially hope my stories offer camaraderie to my sisters walking a similar road to mine.

    4.   How does my writing process work?
    My writing can best be defined as organized chaos.  I wish I could say that I have clearly labeled folders organized by topic and essay.  Sadly, nothing can be farther from the truth.  I have post-it notes and journals throughout my house.  I dictate my thoughts.  I email and text my friends and family about my issue du jour. I then have to sift through the various mediums in order to create a coherent piece.  Although this process works well for me, as a professor and editor, I certainly wouldn't recommend it for others.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments